Monday 17 November 2014

Eating Chinese Food with Chopsticks!!!

This week is Chinese Food Week on Let's Learn Mandarin Blog...

I intend to do and publish several Food related blogs throughout this week including a few other unrelated blogs. I will be starting with this blog, "Eating Chinese Food with Chopsticks". I have always wanted to learn to eat food using chopsticks especially after doing an Etiquette course a few years ago where I learned to dine properly at a four star restaurant. I remember I enjoyed that experience tremendously because I was in a group and everyone in that group including myself scored 100%! 



I learned how to use chopsticks very quickly and surprised myself by immediately getting the hang of it. My neighbour demonstrated how to use chopsticks by using pencils and he taught me what was the important stuff to remember so that I could be sure to use them effectively when eating. The hardest part in this whole experience was getting a pair of chopsticks to use. I searched in almost all the Chinese stores in Port of Spain and couldn't get any. I was a bit frustrated until my Supervisor from work brought me two pairs of chopsticks from home. She told me that she got them from her daughter to frequently went to Wok N Roll and that she had two extra pairs of them at home. I was quite elated and relieved when she gave them to me.



When I made the video blog was actually the very first time I had used chopsticks to eat food. So imagine my surprise when I was able to get a firm grip and hold the food properly between the chopsticks. I guess Chinese culture may be rubbing off on me a lot more than I first thought.... Look out for my other Food blogs later this week.















3 comments:

Rajesh Boodooram said...

I always wondered how to use chopsticks. I always see animated series of people using chopsticks when they are eating ramen. I must say you adapted really well in handling those chopsticks. I'm impressed. You're doing a really good job about expressing your passion. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Great job at it Gayle I find it takes so long to finish a meal with a chop stick, give me a spoon lol

Jems said...

Never tried with chop sticks, but always wanted to, it looks cool, but your facial expression mashing me up, lol!