Sunday 2 November 2014

Progress on Learning Mandarin






Ohhhh My Gosh!!! I am sooo thrilled to share my latest news with you! I FINALLY found someone on Facebook who knows how to speak Mandarin quite well. It is a woman named Jesse who is from Hong Kong. A couple of days ago, I randomly asked her to like my page and she said no problem which brought the likes on my page entitled, 'Let's Learn Mandarin' to 102 likes. YAY!!!! I am relieved that my page has finally crossed the 100 Likes milestone. She was very friendly and soon revealed to me that she spoke Mandarin, Chinese really well. I became really excited especially since she offered to help me learn the language!



A photograph of Jesse


She even mentioned that she heard about the Caribbean but has never been there. She said she would love to visit there one day because of the beautiful beaches and natural scenery...  Her exact words were, "Feichang piaoliang wanmei de daoyu" which means very beautiful and perfect islands. This was exactly how she described the Caribbean. 

A picture of a menu at a restaurant in Hong Kong

I have met other people who speak Mandarin on other social networking sites like Busuu but they didn't know that much Mandarin and seemed to be a little busy. Sites like Busuu was still useful in learning the language especially the basics. If it's two things I've learned in my journey thus far is that when you're passionate about something, you tend to learn not just one but several new things every single day. The other really important thing I've learned is to "Yǒng bù fàngqì. Qízhōng, yǒu yìyuàn, yǒu bànfǎ" which means... never give up, where there's a will, there's a WAY!!! 

1 comment:

Rajesh Boodooram said...

Talk about passion, I didn't expect you to actually get a Mandarin person to teach you. Your blog is really interesting; it's almost like I could feel your passion from the words you typed. Keep it up Gayle! :D