Monday 24 November 2014

How Much Mandarin Do Trinis Know?!?





This video blog was quite interesting because I learned a few things while doing it. At first, my intention was to interview a few Chinese nationals or people of Asian descent living or visiting here in Trinidad and Tobago. However, that idea quickly flopped since there was literally no one willing to be filmed on camera speaking Mandarin. They were either camera shy or certainly afraid of something... 



I soon realized that there were a few people that I noticed who actually knew one or two phrases in Mandarin including folks from none other than Costaatt. I immediately became excited and quickly decided to do a video blog entitled, "How Much Mandarin Do Trinis Know" interviewing a few people and asking them what they knew in Mandarin and how they learned it. I was even more enthusiastic when a lecturer, Mr. Mark Wilson was willing to say a few words and phrases in Mandarin as well. 











                     





I had completed filming the four short interviews on my camera for a couple of weeks but I was still adamant on trying to get a Chinese national to speak Mandarin on camera. Although, I have not been successful thus far, I am certainly not giving up at all. One day I am Sure I will meet either one Chinese person willing to be filmed speaking Mandarin or might even be a group of Chinese having a conversation in Mandarin on camera. I am still hopeful that one day this may happen... and when it does, be Sure to see a video blog on it! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AMAZING PRESENTATION

Unknown said...

I like this blog it is very informative. It didn't seem rehearse and it nice see our locals speaking Mandarin. It gives me a sense of apprecation for the language and our culture. The chinese population is becoming more vast in our country with majority speaking in their native tongue. There are numerous chinese groceries and restaurants located through out the country so Mandarin as a second language is no a bad idea. Great Blog.