Thursday 6 November 2014

Tale of A Chinese National




I have been on an ongoing quest interviewing, filming and compiling short video footage of people I came into contact with who may know a few words or phrases in Mandarin. Unfortunately, I noticed that all Chinese people whom I've met seem to be camera shy. I have approached about seven Chinese folks to say a few words in Mandarin, however, although all of them admitted to knowing the language, none of them were willing to go on camera. A few of them didn't mind being taped once it was their voices alone being recorded but not their faces. This made me quite curious but I soon discovered the reason behind it.



There was one day I was returning home from class on a Saturday afternoon when I decided to stop at a Chinese restaurant to purchase some food. I was in my glee so to speak because Chinese food is one of my favourite types of food. Besides purchasing food, I decided to speak to the young lady who was attending to customers by taking their food orders. I found out that she could speak both Mandarin and Cantonese. After confirming that she knew Mandarin, I asked her if she was willing to speak on camera to which she declined. I wasn't really disappointed since I had been expecting her to decline being on camera. I had been to that Chinese restaurant several times before and one of the things I noticed was that this young lady was very friendly with all the customers and apparently remembered customers by their faces. She even knew some of them by name probably since they were regular customers at that restaurant.


After observing her open and friendly nature, I decided to do an impromptu short interview with her on the spot. She was also very friendly and open with me although she was a bit hesitant to answer a couple of the questions I had asked her. Of Course, she only agreed to do this interview anonymously which means that although she told me her first name, I would not even mention it out of respect for her wishes.  She reluctantly admitted to me that she was here in Trinidad illegally and is currently working there in the Chinese restaurant and also lives on the premises upstairs. The lady, who revealed that she is not married said that she came to this country for a better life and an opportunity to make money and send some home for her family back in China. She says that she has been in Trinidad for about five years now and that when she first came here she worked in a Chinese supermarket in Chaguanas. She said that life in China was rough for her and her family and that she and her brother came to this country seeking prosperity and to maybe one day get the opportunity to open a business together.








She said that she and all of her family is from the southern part of China and they grew up speaking Cantonese however she said that it was mandatory for everyone to learn the more formal form of the Chinese language which is Mandarin in school. So she knows both languages very well. Her family knew very little English so she had no choice but to start to learn English before she left China to come to Trinidad. I asked her if she misses her family and her country and she said every single day she thinks about them and does hope to one day return there if only to visit her family. During the conversation, I asked her if there was anything in particular she misses about China and she said that the Chinese festivals were really nice and pointed out one in particular. She specifically highlighted the Chinese Lantern festival that she and her family would celebrate every year from ever since she was a young girl.


Upon further research, I discovered that the Chinese Lantern festival was celebrated on the 15th day of the first lunar month of that year. Technically, this would be considered a celebration of the Chinese New Year. According to the Gregorian calendar, it usually occurs between February to March month. If you would remember from a previous blog, I had spoke about the difference between the Chinese lunar calendar and the other western type also known as the Gregorian calendar.

Find Out More Information About the Chinese Lantern Festival Here:-

Chinese Lantern Festival



A Chinese Temple decorated with Chinese Lanterns for the Festival


A Chinese Temple Lit up during the Chinese Lantern Festival



Chinese models walk the streets during the Chinese Lantern Festival



2 comments:

Unknown said...

As sad as it was to hear her story, pretty cool to see someone willing to share their native tongue with a local, lol!

Rajesh Boodooram said...

Wow, you know how to apply your knowledge really well in practical situations. o.O
You really know how to go out and find information, especially how you relate with the interviewee.
Keep it up Galyle! :D